Search

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Content

Saturday 16 March 2013

Bin/Binti Issues

I always have issues with my name. But then I figure out that it was not only me who having the same issue.
Well my name is just fine, nothing wrong with that. 

The only thing is, my name have this "Binti" and people always misunderstood me. You know what I mean? Ain't you.

From where I come from, it is very common to have this "bin" or "binti" especially those who born in the year of 70s and 80s and maybe before the 70s as my mother has it too. And we are clearly a Christian. 

I am sorry to say this. I don't mean to make this as a racist issue or any conflict at the first place.
I write this because this is based on the experience I've been through for so many years.
And I just want people to understand that, don't judge someone by their name. Because your fact could be wrong -  especially IF you doesn't know EAST MALAYSIAN that well.

I was once asked about my religion and I said I am a Roman Catholic ( and I am still ) . And they said but you name got "binti". I was so stunned that I could not answer. Not because I don't have the answer but I was like, what is that got to do with my name and my religion?. 

Anyway, I think you should read this. It explains why we East Malaysian has this "Bin/Binti". And we are still a Christian Isu Bin/Binti @ Sabah  and Full Story 2012 @ Sabah Times

Forum Good One


6 comments:

  1. I have Binti in my name too. When I went to KL to further study, they also misunderstood my name with my religion but after I explained to them that its a common thing in Sabah as we are Bumiputra (and we do have the same right as the Malay) and they now didn't asked me anymore. Except for a new people. -.-"

    But I still cringed everytime someone new asked me if I'm a Muslim or not because of my Binti. Pft.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Fay...

    yeah I knew tat. Mine also got binti. Funny thg my bf once thot I am Malay.
    (Maybe he still now) lol

    anyway, people shd know tis fact abt the east malaysian like us!!!....this binti reli put me in trouble sumtime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my mom and dad pun ada bin/ binti ni..luckily we all adik beradik mom and dad x kasi masuk tu bin/binti..mmg peninsular punya org selalu misunderstood tu

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky u..he he he....my parents put in ni di nama saya...well...btt saja la..hehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. My parents tiada taru b/bt masa daftar kelahiran tapi masa ic keluar, aik, ada pula! I'm the eldest, so 1st dpt ic among my siblings. Saya ingat lagi, masa dtg ic sia, ada binti ah. Sendiri sia pigi jpn megamuk suruh durang buka. Punya lama durang urus. Saya awal sek setahun dr org yg sama umur, lahir bln dec pulak tu. Jadinya, sia sorang jak calon pmr di sek sia masa tu yg xda ic, tpaksa memakai slip khas utk duduk pmr.

    X tau lah skg mcm mana aturan jpn, tapi tahun 90an dulu, boleh bah buka bin or binti tu. 3 org adik sa ada bin/binti di ic, sedangkan sijil lahir teda. Durang couldn't be bothered kali, biar saja. Teda hal juga bah tu. Cuma kdg2 nenyusahkan n menimbulkan salah faham. Like my sister, nama dia nadirah. Ada binti. Dimana2 sek or uni dia pi, mesti kena siasat kenapa dia x mau pakai tudung n bangun solat subuh masa day 1 orientasi. Org kan biasa teka agama or bangsa org melalui nama. Not the case for Sabahans. Sini semua jenis nama pun ada. A bit of surprise for outsiders tapi kita biasa sudah gia kan..

    ReplyDelete
  6. luckily i heard this before from my sabahan fren..but at the 1st time it quite shock coz i didn't know bout that..but if im not mistaken bin/binti is not religious term..it just to separate between ur name and parents..

    p/s: since u set ur comment under moderation i dont think captha is practical..just a thought. :D

    Regards,
    -Strider-

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Behind The Web